Identifying and treating rashes
Rash is a generic term that refers to symptoms – redness, blisters, and itching –
associated with a variety of skin conditions. A visit to Allied Dermatology and Skin Surgery in Akron, Mayfield Heights, and Mentor is the first step for identification and treatment of rashes.
akron – mayfield heights – mentor
Accurate diagnosisSome rashes resolve on their own, but there is always risk of secondary infection or scarring from scratching. Using the wrong techniques or medications can make a rash worse. In addition, a rash can be a symptom of a more serious health problem. Our experienced clinitians begin with a careful visual examination and testing (as necessary) to determine the main reason.
- Contact dermatitis – A skin reaction triggered by an allergen such as cosmetics, fragrances, soap, jewelry, or poison ivy.
- Atopic dermatitis – A form of eczema characterized by a raised, red rash with tiny blisters and itching.
- Bacterial infection – The red sores of impetigo around the mouth are contagious.
- Fungal infections – The itchy red rings of ringworm (which is NOT caused by a parasite), and yeast infections are examples.
- Viral infections – Shingles are a painful, blistering rash related to the chickenpox virus.
- Chronic skin conditions – Rashes may be associated with psoriasis (an immune system disorder) or seborrheic dermatitis on the scalp or face.